headline

Training, racing, gear, facial hair styles and thoughts from my push to become an elite cyclist.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Gear Flashback- LeMond Maillot Jaune

While digging through some old files I discovered some pictures of my LeMond Maillot Jaune, my first Dura Ace road bike.  It was one of those interesting carbon spine/steel downtube & chainstays combinations that managed to offer none of the positive attributes of either carbon or steel; somehow it was heavy and dead feeling all at once.



LeMond had been trying to reinvent themselves every year with drastically different graphics packages for their bikes.  The year before featured a baroque-looking panel design that was hokey and overwrought.  In 2004 they went for a more subdued and classic script style with simple panels which I think was an improvement.

The biggest win was the Dura Ace kit, and 10 speed drivetrain was nothing short of fantastic.  I loved that bike, although more for the parts than for the frame itself.  When I was riding it I ran a Ritchey WCS cockpit, a more sensible Thomson post, a Flite saddle, and of course white tape because at the time I only used white tape. 


Looking back this was a great bike, and I really enjoyed my time on it.  After all I was 24, had a full head of hair and had just started my career with my first real job.  What's not to like about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment